Scouts are at the age where they can experience the true adventure that scouting has to offer – from arts and crafts in the meeting place to jumping off cliffs, climbing, sailing, hiking, raft building and many more! We aim to give scouts a wide range of experiences so they can learn some new skills by accident along the way.
Please have pen and paper ready for this evening's session
Bake a Carrot Cake
450g caster sugar
250ml vegetable oil
225g finely grated carrots
225g plain flour
1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
225g icing sugar
225g cream cheese
55g butter or margarine
2 tsp vanilla essence
175g chopped walnuts or nuts of your choice (optional).
Photographer Badge Part 1
How to earn your Photographer activity badge
1. Choose one of these two activities:
a) Produce 12 photographs, featuring at least two of these photographic techniques: portrait, still life (or similar), landscape or seascape, sport or action, or timelapse.
b) Produce six black and white photographs, based on a theme of your choice. Explain the steps you took to create them and the impact of using black and white as an alternative to colour images. You could produce high quality prints on photographic paper or present them on screen.
2. Show that you know the main settings on a digital camera or a smartphone camera. This should include focus and exposure control, and flash settings. Explain the impact of shutter speed and aperture size on the image.
3. Describe what accessories are available to use with digital cameras or smartphone cameras.
4. Edit a selection of your images, using editing software on a computer or using an app on a smartphone. This could include cropping, colour, contrast or light levels. Explain what you have changed and how it improved your image.
5. Diagnose typical faults that happen at the photographing or editing stages, such as over or under exposure and high or low contrast. Explain how to reduce camera shake and how to respond to subject movement.
6. Show that you know how to care for a digital camera or smartphone camera.